Skip to main content

Did We Have a Reservation at Phillips?


Nope, we aren't at Philips, we are at the Sobon-Bowers! You know, being that Greg is from Maryland, I always have to make some kind of crab cake, crab ball, crab something every now and again. You know even Parker likes crab legs, crab cakes, anything crab really. We are expanding his palette...next stop...Sushi...

Anyway, tonight was crab balls with a dill mayo sauce and oven fries. So let me tell you where this combination came from. Over the summer we went to Brad's house. He made us crab balls (basically a crab cake in ball form) with a fruit salsa, asparagus and potatoes. It was so tastey. So, there is the ball inspiriation. Side note: I have made crab cakes quite a bit and my biggest challenge is keeping them in patty like forms, so the balls make it much easier.

The Dill Sauce - One holiday (don't remember which) we were at my Aunt Di's house having a 6 course meal. One of the first courses was a mini crab cake with this red pepper/dill sauce. I don't know how she made it, but I tried to make my own. Now I don't make a crab cake without it.

Oven Fries - Who am I kidding, no inspiration here...just me enjoying potatoes baking in oil!

So let's begin...

Start out with the best crab that you can afford. Now, let me be clear...very clear...I enjoy the artificial crab (eventhough Greg is so EVIL about it) that you find on the salad bar or in california rolls, but please I repeat PLEASE DO NOT use the artificial crab when making a crab ANYTHING, unless a crab salad.

In a mixing bowl put some MAYO, lemon juice, lemon zest, bread crumbs (I used whole wheat or panko, as I find it makes it more crispy.), Old Bay, pepper, grate in some onion or shallot, chopped red peppers, chopped scallions and some lemon zest. Mix all ingredients together. Now gently FOLD in the crab. Pick up about a meatball sized amount of the crab mixture and squeeze into ball form. Add to a baking sheet and bake crab balls at 425 for about 25 - 35 mins. I spray the top of the balls with spray butter just to make them a bit brown.

While the crab cakes are cooking its time to get started on our oven fries. Take any type of potato and cut into steak fry size. Put on a baking sheet. Add oil (a veggie oil or smart balance oil, not EVOO, it smokes too much.) Add any seasoning you want. I add garlic, old bay, pepper, parsley, oregano. Whatever you want...Add oven fries to the oven

Now for the sauce...I highly advise you to invest in a hand grater/zester. It makes life so much easier. So in a small bowl, grate some garlic, onion, finely chopped red peppers, scallions, mayo, lemon juice and a LOT of dill. Mix, add S&P and put in fridge.

Once the ball are done, place the sauce on the plate and microwave for about 15-20 seconds. You want the sauce to be room temperature. Place the balls on top of the sauce. Serve with oven fries and your veggie of choice....

The verdict on this one...FANTASTIC. The crab balls have no filler, are fresh and not deep fried or greasy. Now I don't know how to make a "true" Maryland crab cake, but I got my Maryland boy to do nothing but look at me and say "MMMMM!"

Up Next...Going Greek!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Introduction

So, have you ever thought that you were destined to do something and from the time you were little you knew it? Think of some famous singers and actors like Mariah Carey and Dakota Fanning (despite only being a teen now)...don't you think that by singing, dancing and/or acting at such a young age made it inevitable that they would become famous? I think that most people in the world fall into their destiny. With the normal facets of life, people gravitate towards what is comfortable via consistency around them, family, friends, etc. When I was barely old enough to talk, my mom decided it was time for me to learn how to go around the room and address everyone by name. Well to the normal 1 year old that would be mom, dad, Lindsay, etc. I went around the room and said "Ma-Ma, Da-Da," and pointed to myself and said, "Ra-Ra." Being that my name is Lindsay I am sure my parents wondered (and we are all still wondering) where I came up with and why I called myself &qu

Time to Catch Up...Chicken Pesto Presto

Ever do nothing...just absolutely nothing you know you should be doing? Prime example....me laying on the couch with my monkey (Vixen) watching Lifetime Movie Network and ignoring the pile of laundry, the empty pantry and the dust collecting on the the furniture...The next day I have to play catch up...cleaning, errands, the norm...Well, it's time for me to do just that...Catch up! Basically, I am going to post a bunch at once! Chicken Pesto Presto - cute name huh? (Thanks RR) This is a really yummy meal and so easy and quite healthy. It reminds me of the chicken my mom always gets at our favorite family restaurant, Arpeggio. So start with chicken breasts. Butterfly them so they look like you are opening a book. Sprinkle with S&P. Put a pot of water to boil on the stove. Add salt. In a food processor combine basil, garlic, parm cheese, S&P, garlic and some lemon zest. Steam in some EVOO. Voila - you made a pesto, minus the pine nuts. For me, they were too

Bon Apetit! Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Shells

Who doesn't like Italian Food? Looks pretty good huh? And all homemade! This was our vegetarian night. This was really easy and quick. Not to mention not a lot of pots. Take a box of stuffed shells and add about 4 per person to boiling water. Add garlic, EVOO and a box of defrosted chopped spinach to a pan. Put ricotta cheese, rough chopped artichoke hearts, 1 egg yolk and S&P in a bowl. Once spinach mixture is warm, add to ricotta. Add parm cheese and some basil. Toss Quickly! To a casserole dish add a can of whole tomatoes, basil, S&P and butter. Mash tomatoes. When shells are done, spoon the ricotta mixture into the shells and lay into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with parm cheese and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 20 mins. Then remove the foil and continue baking for 15 mins. Don't worry if you put it in too long. It really can't over cook. You want to make sure the shells are hot. Remember there is a raw egg in the ricotta. When finish