Skip to main content

Is it Chili? Nope, it's a 7-Layer Casserole


Yup, that's how the conversation went. Greg asked: Is this Chili? I said: Nope, it's a 7-Layer Casserole.
What are the 7 layers you ask?
1. Ground Beef
2. Black or Re fried Beans
3. Cheesy Mac and Cheese
4. Lettuce
5. Pico De Gallo
6. Creamy Guacamole
7. Scallions/Green Onions.

There is no skimping with this one. This is something that is so delicious and can last a few days. I found this one in my new cookbook "Look and Cook" by RR. This is such an easy meal and something that you can make even easier if you buy some of the items pre-made. So let's talk about how to make it...
Take your meat (any kind would do. ) I used ground beef.
Add some garlic, onions, jalapenos. Don't forget to take the seeds out of the peppers. That is where the heat is. While the meat is cooking, make some pasta. I used elbow mac. You are going to create a delicious sauce with melted butter, flour and milk. Then add the cheese and some tomatoes w. chillies from the can. When the pasta is done, add to the cheese sauce. While the meat is browning, make the pico. Tomatoes, onions, cilantro and lime juice all combined. The guac is sour cream, avocados and garlic with a little lemon.
Time to Assemble to Art:
Place the meat on the bottom of a casserole dish
Add re fried or black beans
Lay the macaroni and cheese on top. Add some additional cheese to brown on top
Put in the oven for 20 mins on 400.
When it is complete, add the pico, guac, scallions and chopped lettuce. Add tortilla strips if you wish.
Voila!!!!!

This was truly a delicious meal. We ate it on Monday AND Tuesday.

So I am crafting my weekly menus by alternating some red meat, chicken, fish and vegetarian. Tomorrow night...Beef Noodle Bowl...MMMM.

Side Note: I have set a goal for myself to be complete my cookbook by March. I have a few recipes, but I want to have it complete and ordered so I can start distributing it.

Stay tuned....

Enjoy!

And as RR would say: "A good meal never has to be more than 30 mins away." (While this took longer than 30 mins...it was a quick and easy materpiece.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Introduction

So, have you ever thought that you were destined to do something and from the time you were little you knew it? Think of some famous singers and actors like Mariah Carey and Dakota Fanning (despite only being a teen now)...don't you think that by singing, dancing and/or acting at such a young age made it inevitable that they would become famous? I think that most people in the world fall into their destiny. With the normal facets of life, people gravitate towards what is comfortable via consistency around them, family, friends, etc. When I was barely old enough to talk, my mom decided it was time for me to learn how to go around the room and address everyone by name. Well to the normal 1 year old that would be mom, dad, Lindsay, etc. I went around the room and said "Ma-Ma, Da-Da," and pointed to myself and said, "Ra-Ra." Being that my name is Lindsay I am sure my parents wondered (and we are all still wondering) where I came up with and why I called myself &qu

Bon Apetit! Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Shells

Who doesn't like Italian Food? Looks pretty good huh? And all homemade! This was our vegetarian night. This was really easy and quick. Not to mention not a lot of pots. Take a box of stuffed shells and add about 4 per person to boiling water. Add garlic, EVOO and a box of defrosted chopped spinach to a pan. Put ricotta cheese, rough chopped artichoke hearts, 1 egg yolk and S&P in a bowl. Once spinach mixture is warm, add to ricotta. Add parm cheese and some basil. Toss Quickly! To a casserole dish add a can of whole tomatoes, basil, S&P and butter. Mash tomatoes. When shells are done, spoon the ricotta mixture into the shells and lay into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with parm cheese and cover with foil. Bake at 375 for 20 mins. Then remove the foil and continue baking for 15 mins. Don't worry if you put it in too long. It really can't over cook. You want to make sure the shells are hot. Remember there is a raw egg in the ricotta. When finish

Time to Catch Up...Chicken Pesto Presto

Ever do nothing...just absolutely nothing you know you should be doing? Prime example....me laying on the couch with my monkey (Vixen) watching Lifetime Movie Network and ignoring the pile of laundry, the empty pantry and the dust collecting on the the furniture...The next day I have to play catch up...cleaning, errands, the norm...Well, it's time for me to do just that...Catch up! Basically, I am going to post a bunch at once! Chicken Pesto Presto - cute name huh? (Thanks RR) This is a really yummy meal and so easy and quite healthy. It reminds me of the chicken my mom always gets at our favorite family restaurant, Arpeggio. So start with chicken breasts. Butterfly them so they look like you are opening a book. Sprinkle with S&P. Put a pot of water to boil on the stove. Add salt. In a food processor combine basil, garlic, parm cheese, S&P, garlic and some lemon zest. Steam in some EVOO. Voila - you made a pesto, minus the pine nuts. For me, they were too